Breakfast pizza – hard to resist!
Breakfast pizza?? Hmmm….
Finding something really yummy to eat for breakfast can be tricky at the best of times. Unless you are one of those totally energetic morning people who can survive every wake up process with just a cup of coffee and some fruit, then you need some inspiration as to what to make. Or better still, have made for you!!
And, if you add in the fact the you are on a low Gluten or Gluten Free diet, then the challenge just went up a notch or two!
Enter the breakfast pizza with a bonus cheesy crust. Other than cracking the eggs on top, everything can be made the night before. The crusts can be made in bulk and frozen, so when you find cauliflowers are in season, and therefore CHEAP, buy up big and make your mornings just that bit easier.
Breakfast Pizza with a Cheesy Crust
Yield 4 Serves
This recipe makes one pizza to serve 4 people (or two teenagers, or just my son).
- 1 head cauliflower (about 600g) – finely processed
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup tomato relish or sauce (nice and spicy)
- 100g of baby bocconcini or 100g fresh mozzarella
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- Preheat your oven to 180°C, and grease a 22cm round pizza or 22cm flan tray. I find the flan tray is the best because the bottom is loose, so you can easily get the pizza out when it is cooked!
- Microwave the cauliflower for 5 minutes, allow to cool and then squeeze as much moisture out as you can. Mix in one of the eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture out on the pizza or flan tray, making sure there is a bit extra at the edge. Carefully put the Paremsan cheese around the edge and then cover with the excess cauliflower mixture – this will make the cheesy crust.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Take out ready to cover with your toppings. At this point you can freeze it.
- Spread your relish or pasata over the base, then the grated cheese, finally arrange slices of mozzarella around the top.
- Carefully make four impressions in the pizza and crack in the remaining eggs.
- Bake for another 10 – 15 minutes, or until the egg whites are cooked properly.
You can leave the eggs off the pizza if desired. Substitute some hot smoked salmon, or sliced chorizo sausage.