Turn Cherry tomato, zucchini and cheese into an amazing Gluten Free flan.
Note from the author: The tomato crop, of course, has gone berserk with the rain and heat, so the kitchen has been a hive of activity with Chunky Salsa and Relish being made. I do get a bit sick of cutting up kilos of tomatoes each day, but in the winter, we all love opening jars of home-made salsa and remembering the sunshine.
Tomatoes are very easy to freeze as well. If you freeze them whole with the skins on, they are very easy to defrost, slip the skins off and pop into bolognese, pasta sauces or make more relish. The cherry tomato freezes well, and packs really flat to not take up too much space. If you’re like me in the summer, you’re wishing your freezer was a bit Tardis like and was much bugger on the inside that it looked on the outside!
In recognition of the fact that lots of us have loads of cherry tomatoes and possibly just one too many zucchinis, this recipe is a super healthy and super easy flan to make which is great cold or hot!
1 cup of milk
1 large carrot – grated
2 zucchinis – grated and moisture squeezed out
1 spring onion – white and green parts finely sliced
24 – 30 cherry tomatoes
100 grams Danish feta – crumbled
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste.
*optional extra is some bacon pieces, fried until just cooked
Steps to Success:
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Grease a large ceramic flan dish really well (olive oil is wonderful for this)
- Layer the grated carrot, spring onion and zucchini evenly across the base.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves and spread evenly across the vegetables.
- Crumble the feta evenly around the flan, then top with grated cheddar.
- Whisk eggs and milk together and pour over cheeses and vegetables.
- Pop into oven for 35 minutes.