A Breakfast bake to prepare the night before.
Start your day with an easy breakfast bake that has the perfect protein kick to reduce your cravings later in the morning. Yep, those cravings that have you reaching for the quick fix chocolate bar or high sugar muffin to get you through to lunch! That’s what contributes to those couple of kilos you don’t really want!
If you feel fuller as a result of having breakfast, you are more likely to make healthier food choices throughout the other parts of the day. If you skip breakfast, you are less likely to eat fruits and vegetables throughout the day, which can lead to weight gain and lack of nutrients in the diet. And remember, when you consume high-protein sources, you also take in other nutrients like iron, vitamin C, calcium and fibre, depending upon what type of protein source you eat.
When you start the day with a high-protein breakfast, you help fire up your metabolism. This allows you to burn more calories throughout the day. There has been discussion that those who do not eat breakfast at all risk becoming increasingly resistant to insulin. Insulin is needed to help your body use glucose to provide energy for basic activities. Insulin resistance is associated with increased risk for diabetes. Diabetes is a chronic, and increasingly common, condition that can lead to serious complications and is often associated with heart disease and high blood pressure.
Breakfast Bake - Spanish Tomatoes, Beans and Eggs
Yield 4 serves
- 400 gram tin of red kidney beans, drained440 gram tin of diced tomatoes2 teaspoons smoked paprika100 grams soft feta cheese1 spring onion – white and green parts finely sliced8 free range eggs
- Mix together kidney beans, tomatoes, paprika, and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide between 4 individual oven proof bowls, or use on large oven proof baking dish.
- Divide the crumbled feta between the dishes, and then sprinkle with the spring onion slices.
- Make a depression in the two side of each dish, and break the eggs into these dips – this is so the yolk stays away from the edges of your dish and cooks evenly with the whites.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 35 minutes.
If you are feeding hungry teenagers, then have some crusty bread for them to mop up all the juices at the end!